Location: Hampshire Salary: £60,000-£75,000
Quantity Surveyor / Senior Quantity Surveyor Hampshire
Our client is an established specialist main contractor delivering exceptional bespoke residential schemes across London and the Hampshire & Surrey regions. They have been established for over 70-years, have a strong forward order book a healthy financial position.
This contractor undertakes extremely high-end 'one-off' bespoke residential schemes, both refurbishments and new builds, for high-net-worth clients with individual project values ranging from £5m - £50m.
The need now exists for an experienced Quantity Surveyor to join the commercial team managing projects up to £10m in value. This position will be split between the Hampshire head office and site, as required by the project team. You will be responsible for managing all commercial aspects of a project. Working in coordination with the site team to maintain high standards of quality and profit.
General experience required
• A good understanding of traditional building methods and products associated with the refurbishment of listed buildings and up-market period houses.
• Confident in dealing directly with Architects, Quantity Surveyors, Clients and Subcontractors.
• Managing multiple projects
• Able to keep a tight control on potentially high numbers of variations on a large number of on-going projects, assisting site managers and contracts managers in recording all variations, pricing them and accurately recording their effect on final accounts and ensure that AI’s are received for all variations
• Pay regular visits to site, as well as liaising directly with Contracts Managers and Site Managers to ensure that all variations are recorded on CVIs and copied to all interested parties
• Responsibility for ensuring that VAT assessments/calculations are correct.
• Manage handover from estimator of financial information
• Agree package composition with CM
• Set buying targets for each package
• Agree which packages are to be re-bid
• Send out tender documentation
• Conduct commercial negotiations with packages not to be re-bid
• Attend post tender interviews & lead financial sections
• Attend pre-order meeting & manage financial section
• Produce initial CVR / buying report for each package
• Prepare order documentation for each package
• Carry out financial checks on sub-contractors (in conjunction with Accounts Director)
• Agree detailed T&C’s back to back with main contract highlight deviations to the CM
Maintain control / monitor materials & sundries purchased from site
Negotiate rates, terms & place orders for major materials packages
Sign off invoices for all site purchased materials
Prepare & publish payment schedule
Prepare & agree monthly valuations with PQS
Prepare & agree monthly valuations with Subs
Sign off invoices for payment
Ensure subcontract applications are dealt with in the required timescale (avoid payment notices)
Ensure that no deposits are paid to third parties without equivalent sums first being paid to ourselves.
Maintain VO schedule
Ensure prompt agreement of all VO’s upstream and downstream
Highlight program risk of VO’s to CM
Prepare & maintain Cash Flow forecast
Prepare maintain & present CVR
Prepare for the CM the financial section of the progress report
Report to the CM in the cash position of the job
Ensure that cost reports to PQS/Clients are up to date
Communicate also on all matters affecting the performance of projects, employees, associates, and the commercial interests of the company.
Ideal experience / qualifications
HNC in Construction or relevant Degree level qualification
Detailed knowledge private residential building contracting.
Awareness of property taxation matters and contractual law
Have a good understanding of traditional building methods and products associated with the refurbishment of listed buildings and up-market period houses
In return our client can offer genuine career stability, progression opportunities with the opportunity to be involved in some prestigious schemes. Basic salary plus pension, bonus, healthcare +++