Sector: Construction | Job Type: Permanent | Salary: Negotiable
Title: Design Manager,
To fully understand and manage the design requirements of the tender/project and to provide assistance and guidance to design co-ordinators where and when appropriate.
Key Responsibilities Tender Stage :
- Have input into the selection of the design team.
- Agree the design team’s responsibilities and scope of services
- Agree tender and construction programme with the design team
- Hold and minute regular design meetings and involve critical sub-contractors as necessary
- Advise on the selection of specialist sub-contractors
- Consider alternative building methods, sub-contractor and materials
- Consider and resolve all statutory requirements
- Review and co-ordinate package interfaces
- Assist in the production of the Contractors Proposals
- Attend selection interview when required.
- Produce and maintain a Risk & Opportunity Schedule
- Produce and maintain tender Querv Schedule Construction
- Input into the Employers Requirement/Contractor Proposal Compatibility
- Manage and assist the Design Co-ordinator during the construction.
- Act as mentor/advisor to Design Co-ordinator during the construction phase
- All Co-ordinator duties when required.
- Ensure the design recognises all aspects of health & safety, environmental and quality related matters.
- Input into the selection of design sub – contractors.
- Chair and minute Design meetings and ensure production of information in line with the design programme.
- Liaise with the site team to ensure buildable and robust details with the agreement of the construction team.
- Work with the site team (incl. QS) to consider alternatives.
- Regularly inspect site to ensure design is being adhered to.
- Manage the design team and design sub-contractor.
- Attend production meetings and input to all design issues.
- Report on the design in line with cost meetings.
- Liaise with the M&E Co-ordination to ensure compatibility of building and services.
- Manage design consultants and sub consultants along with design sub-contractors to ensure correct and timely delivery of all design elated information for the execution of the works on site
- Manage design co-ordinators and act as mentor to them for the projects they are involved in
- Understand the different Client procurement routes
- Experience of working at pre-construction stage
- Understanding of D&B contracts
- Commercial awareness
- Experience of site/contract procedures would be an advantage.
- Ability to organise, plan, programme and manage workloads
- Good working knowledge of Building Regulations and Planning Permission procedures.
- Time management
- Be able to use Microsoft Word / Excel / PowerPoint
- Be able to use View Point for Projects (4Projects)
- Be able to lead and manage a design team and design subcontractors Required Training
- Degree in construction related role
- Minimum six years construction industry experience Desirable Training